Search This Blog

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Common Sense Tips For Saving Money


There are many ways that we can save money in our household budget. How big can this be? Well, if you work a forty hour week and you are able to save forty dollars a week you have just given yourself the equivalent of a one dollar an hour raise. That is $2080.00 dollars a year. Here are some quick and easy ways to save money.

Clip Coupons

This is a oldy but a goody, and with the Internet a new avenue for finding coupons that you can use is at your fingertips. Don't forget the god old Sunday newspaper. If you don't get the Sunday paper, or if there is a coupon for something you buy every week, ask friends and family for their unused coupons. Use websites like coupon.com to print on-line coupons. I printed a two dollar off two boxes coupon for a particular brand of cereal. At four dollars a box, I wouldn't buy one, let alone two. When I got to the store I was presently surprised to find that a flavor of this cereal which I liked was marked down to $1.79 per box on a closeout special. The store honored my coupon so I effectively bought each box for seventy nine cents.

I also use U-Promise coupons. You must register your grocery store loyalty card. If you e-clip a coupon an activate it, U-Promise will put that money into a savings fund for your child's college.

Create A Menu Before You Shop

Plan your weekly meals before you shop for grocery items. That way you no exactly what to buy and can save money by mot indulging in impulse buying or "maybe I can use that this week" decisions. Planning you menu around your weekly coupons is an even easier way to save money.

Cook a Little Extra and Create a Leftover Meal

Don't throw away leftovers. Leftovers make great bag lunches, are great for pot-luck dinner nights, or as heat and eat snacks. I invested in a vacuum sealer, and have more than recouped my money by taking leftovers with me to work. We seal individual servings and when we have accumulated enough of them in our freezer, we have a pot-luck dinner night where everybody makes their own menu with what is available. You can find vacuum sealers now on ebay for very low prices. My brother even found my $99.00 model at a thrift store for $5.00. Needless to say, his leftovers are even more cost effective than mine are. Vacuum sealers are also great if you or someone in your family hunt, fish,or grow a vegetable garden.

Get a Freezer

This is another item that you may be able to buy used. Having a freezer allows you to buy meat in bulk and gives you a place to store extras from your garden, fish,game, and even the leftovers.

These are just a few ways that you can save money. I will post future blogs with more tips. Until then, happy savings.

0 comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online